The Athenaeum of War
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

About the Deviantart Chatroom and the Chatbot

Go down

About the Deviantart Chatroom and the Chatbot Empty About the Deviantart Chatroom and the Chatbot

Post by Guest Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:49 am

I decided to put this here so I wouldn't have to keep updating the blog. I find it easier to edit forum posts than DA group blogs :S

We're finally going to put the AoW Chatroom to use! Because of a recent PHP update, AndromedaBot's original bot model thinger Dante doesn't work anymore, so I'm using Komodo for her now. She comes with a hangman game that I plan on using for future AoW events! I figured I make a blog about how to use the chatbot since I know a lot of you probably won't understand it at first. Not trying to demean anyone, it's just a little confusing at first; it took me 30 minutes just to figure out how to set the welcome messages! :B

The bot will only be on when I am. I live in the Eastern Time Zone, so she'll be on in the reasonable time range (anywhere from 7 am to 10 pm) for that time zone.

I've decided that I will use two bots to run Andy; one is called Komodo, and one is called Terra. These are both bots that use Python, that's the reasoning behind it ;P

The trigger for the bot is ! so when you want to command the bot to do something, type !(command name here). To access the list of commands that you can use, type !commands. Type !help (command name here) for more information on that command. Note that a few commands do not come with a help topic.

If MrFlower is present, his trigger is @.

(T)To make the bot tell others that you are away from the keyboard, type !setaway (optional away message here). Once you get back, type !setback. (Superdamn, a chat userscript, has a much better away system.)

(K)To make Andy roll a dice, type !dice (# of dice sides x how many dice). For example, to roll one 20 sided die I would type !dice 20. To roll two 20 sided dice, I would type !dice 20x2.

(K)To make Andy do math, type !calc (math expression here). For example, !calc 1+1.

(K)To make Andy translate temperatures, type !temp (measurement name, number of degrees). !temp cf 0 would translate 0 degrees Celsius into Fahrenheit; !temp fc 0 would translate 0 degrees Fahrenheit into Celsius. You can also do this with Kelvin (k).

(K+T)Bots have a note system, though the notes are not shared between bots! Komodo's note system is a little better in that it doesn't blurt out notes; you can type /chat AndromedaBot to have a private chat with Andy and read your note there. With both Komodo and Terra, you send a note by typing /note send (Username here). Please note (oh look, a pun! 8D) this does NOT send a real DA note, it's a note within the chatroom bot.

And now to the games!

(K+T)Both Komodo and Terra feature an 8ball. However, Komodo's 8ball requires you put a "?" at the end your questions, while Terra's does not. To access the 8ball, type !8ball (Question/Statement here)

Komodo features Hangman. To play hangman, type !hangman (guess a letter here). You can only guess one letter at a time, and each person gets their own hangman game. To clarify, everyone guesses the same phrase, but the letters you guess are not transferred over to another user. This gives you a chance to use other people's correct guesses to your advantage!

Terra features rock, paper, scissors. To play, type !shoot (either rock, paper, or scissors here). If I may end up messing with this one and adding more options, like spock!

Terra has russian roulette! Type !rr to play. Be warned though, I may kick you if you die, to make the effect real lol :B (either refresh the tab or type "/join athenaeumofwar" to rejoin the chatroom).

Terra features a vending machine. Type !vender to see what it's in stock, and then type !vender buy (item here) to get an item. If you wish to see what items are available, type !vender list. If you wish to add an item, type !vender add. Please don't remove items from the vending machine, I will do that.

Terra has fortune cookies. Type !fortune to get one.

I think that's everything you need to know about the bot for now, I'll update this blog as I learn more about her, and if I end up making my own extension (most likely a game).

Lotus, your resident tech nerd(ish person), out!

Last edited by Morpheus on Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

About the Deviantart Chatroom and the Chatbot Empty Re: About the Deviantart Chatroom and the Chatbot

Post by Guest Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:07 am

Some basic DA chatroom commands! These are separate from the bot, you can use these commands in any chatroom, even one without a bot.

"Tabbing", or "nickcomplete" is a very important feature in a busy chatroom. Type a few letters of a nickname, e.g. "ph" for "photofroggy" then press the [TAB] key. if done right, the nickname will be autocompleted on the message text box.

"/me actionhere" makes you do an action, such as "TheLotusPwns runs around like an idiot."

"/whois username" will display information about that person. I don't think anyone else will be able to see that you did this command, unless you fail and forget the / .

"/join chatroom" will join that chatroom. Not necessary if you only plan on joining one chatroom, but does come in handing if you've been kicked.

"/kick username' is a command only me and Dutchie can use at this point. It kicks that person out of the chatroom, and until they rejoin they can't talk. If we get more activity in the chatroom I will enable this function for the Mentors and on special events enable it for the Members as well! KICK PARTIES ANYONE 8D

"/ban username" I don't actually know if this is the code for banning someone from a chatroom, I've never had to do it before. Regardless, only me and Dutchie can use it.

"/promote username" and it's inverse "/demote username" put the person in the next level privclass and the previous level privclass respectively.

"Privclasses" are the names of groups within the chatroom. The current privclasses are:
  • SupremeOverlords : TheLotusPwns TheDutchesse
  • Bots : MrFlower AndromedaBot
  • Mentors : OniKurotsuki
  • Members : dark-icy Larkspur-KiwiPickle lilith194 Sasuke323 SkiesTheLimit121 x0xallyx0xx
  • Guests : Anyone who comes in and isn't already in one of the previous two privclasses.
  • Banned : No one currently, let's leave it that way.

Keep in mind I only add you to a privclass if you come into the chatroom! What's the point in pointing you in a group if you're not going to participate, eh?

I think that's it for now. RAINBOW BUMMIE

Last edited by Morpheus on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:35 am; edited 4 times in total

Back to top Go down

About the Deviantart Chatroom and the Chatbot Empty Re: About the Deviantart Chatroom and the Chatbot

Post by Guest Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:24 am

Chat userscripts are very useful if you plan on coming into the DA chat often. They also add more /commands that can be used, such as setting a nickname for someone, and a much better away system than a bot. Both of the scripts I'm going over require Greasemonkey, which means they're Firefox (and Flock 2.6) only. However, I think Chromacity works with Chrome, but I'm not sure.

Edit: Superdamn has both a Chrome and Safari version!

dAmn Goodies allows you to set nicknames for people, talk backwards, talk with an accent, and even comes with an antikick function, which means you automatically join the chat if kicked. I love that function, it basically makes you a yoyo! 8D

SuperdAmn One of my favorite userscripts. It has an excellent away function, an ignore function, it makes it very easy to edit the title and topic (if you have the privs); it allows you to use more emotes (such as About the Deviantart Chatroom and the Chatbot _sadtard__by_InvaderZaeon!) without having to use plz accounts (sadtard would be typed :sadtard:). It also features formatting buttons (i.e. it comes with buttons for bold, italics, etc.)

Chromacity Basically just colors up the text in chatrooms. You can set your username and text to be a certain color, and you can see other people's colors. Really fun but useless script. (You need Superdamn to use this script).

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum