The Athenaeum of War
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How To Roleplay

Go down

How To Roleplay Empty How To Roleplay

Post by Guest Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:55 pm

I know I probably shouldn't be the one to do this post, but for some reason I feel like I have too :B

Roleplaying is a very enjoyable activity for those involved, but it's only enjoyable for both parties if done correctly. Many of you hopefully already know about god-moding.

Let's make this simple: Don't do it. If an admin catches you god-moding, I think it'd be fair if that admin swept in and did some god-moding of their own, maybe applying some administrative justice while they're at it.

Sweet, sweet justice.

Anyhoo, I thought I'd share some helpful guides to creating a good roleplaying character done by the very awesome Sheeply of DeviantArt.

• Character Creation Guide Part 1
  • Character Creation Guide Part 2
  • Character Creation Guide Part 3

Even if you've already seen these, I would highly recommend skimming over them again to refresh your memory on what makes a good character.

Here's a Text Roleplaying Guide by the amazing Sheeply to go along with your now digesting knowledge of character creation.

Back to top Go down

How To Roleplay Empty Re: How To Roleplay

Post by Guest Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:17 am

Examples of how to roleplay:

Morpheus: *walks in* Hey guys! Are you playing a game? Can I join? Very Happy

That would acceptable in a chatroom, which may come into creation soon.

Lingering rays of sunlight sweetened the afternoon air of the forest. Morpheus, an older satyr and one of the mentors of the Academy, had been dozing when he heard a tumult of whistles and cheers. He cracked an eye open and spied some of the other satyrs gathered around. Quickly getting up, he raced over to the group.
    "Hey, can I join?" he asked, trying to get a glance at what the group was doing.

This would be a more acceptable form of roleplay here in the forums. Of course, you can add as much detail as you want, as long as you don't go My Immortal on us. By that I mean go into lots and lots of detail on the character's outfit and then spend very little time on the action.

Example taken from the My Immortal host:

Hi my name is Ebony Dark’ness Dementia Raven Way and I have long ebony black hair (that’s how I got my name) with purple streaks and red tips that reaches my mid-back and icy blue eyes like limpid tears and a lot of people tell me I look like Amy Lee (AN: if u don’t know who she is get da hell out of here!). I’m not related to Gerard Way but I wish I was because he’s a major fucking hottie. I’m a vampire but my teeth are straight and white. I have pale white skin. I’m also a witch, and I go to a magic school called Hogwarts in England where I’m in the seventh year (I’m seventeen). I’m a goth (in case you couldn’t tell) and I wear mostly black. I love Hot Topic and I buy all my clothes from there. For example today I was wearing a black corset with matching lace around it and a black leather miniskirt, pink fishnets and black combat boots. I was wearing black lipstick, white foundation, black eyeliner and red eye shadow. I was walking outside Hogwarts. It was snowing and raining so there was no sun, which I was very happy about. A lot of preps stared at me. I put up my middle finger at them.

Notice the OOC AN (which I'm assuming means author's note) that interrupts the already jagged text.

If you're going to do an OOC commment, leave it at the end of the post, and either use [brackets] or ((double parentheses)). I admit I still use (single parentheses) when I really should use ((double)), but I've been doing better. It might help if you add OOC to the note as well.

Example:

[OOC: Hey, look, an OOC remark! : D]

I highly doubt that anyone would do something as bad as My Immortal, but you never know.

Refer to Sheeply's guide for further information if needed ^^.

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum